The admission criterion is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) with a minimum of 30% in the English Language.
Matric Certification (certified copy with the required level of completion)
Identity document / Passport (certified copy)
Write an overview of your understanding and experience of fashion. The information in your essay is reflective of your character and writing style. Include your background, passions and future goals. Please do not exceed 2 typed pages or 4 hand-written ones.
Create one A3 storyboard consisting of three fashion figure drawings with your own designs. Rendered in colour. Fabric swatches are optional. (You can also find templates for your figures online)
Create one creative A3 mood board that conveys your chosen trend/theme. Incorporate visuals, print sand descriptive words to convey your inspiration for your storyboard/collection. (Ensure images are not blurry or pixelated)
Portfolios are reviewed regularly and enrolments are taken until each course is full. There is no strict deadline for applications but we do recommend that students apply as early as possible.
Click on the link below for our Portfolio Workshop video which takes you through a step-by-step guide to creating your successful portfolio.
Applicants that do not live in the Republic of South Africa should read through the following steps carefully. This will give an indication of the timeframe which should be taken into account when applying. It is suggested that the process commence as early as possible.
- Applicants are required to have a Matric Certificate with the relevant endorsement or equivalent thereof. A foreign qualification can be certified by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). Please note that the process can take anything from 10 to 30 working days. Please check the form for applicable fees.
- You may apply at the Design Academy of Fashion in the meantime, however, acceptance will be based on the outcome from SAQA for foreign students.
- Proof of payment of the R2200,00 application fee for non-South African citizens must also accompany the application. If you have already received your certificate from SAQA please submit this as well. All copies need to be certified. Please ensure that all copies once scanned are readable.
- DAF will send you an acceptance letter once your portfolio is approved, stating the duration of the course you applied for.
- You will then need to go to the nearest South African Embassy or Consulate to apply for a Study Visa, using the acceptance letter. The Embassy will advise of any further requirements as well as fees payable before acceptance. The visa may take up to 8 weeks. Once you have received your visa, you can book your trip to the RSA.
- On arrival at DAF, a copy of the study visa will be required for your file. The study visa must state specifically that the student will be studying at the Design Academy of Fashion.
- DAF does not offer accommodation, We are, however, happy to assist students, where possible, in finding suitable accommodation.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US
available from 9:00 – 16:30
Monday – Friday
Address 208 Albert Road, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7926