from trend to styling with relevance
the theory of fashion styling with practical, real-life excercises
WHEN SELECTING TWO COURSES
The Design Academy of Fashion’s short course calendar is designed to enhance learning by offering consecutive courses that build on knowledge.
Learn more and save more.
Choose your Course Option
R500 Registration Fee is necessary to book your spot. Spaces are Limited.
9am - 1pm
Inc. Adobe Design
9am - 1pm
2023 COURSE DATES
STARTS: 21 JANUARY 2023
BREAK: 18 FEBRUARY 2023
ENDS: 18 MARCH 2023
STARTS: 6 MAY 2023
BREAK: 3 JUNE 2023
ENDS: 17 JUNE 2023
STARTS: 5 AUG 2023
BREAK: 16 SEPT 2023
ENDS: 7 OCT 2023
STARTS: 14 OCT 2023
BREAK: 11 NOV 2023
ENDS: 25 NOV 2023
FASHION STYLING COURSE OUTLINE
The Fashion Styling Short course is broken into 8 four-hour lessons. These lessons will take place every Saturday from 9am-1pm for the duration of the course and be held on campus at Design Academy of Fashion. This immersive course combines the theory of fashion styling with practical, real life exercises that will give you the confidence to pursue styling as a career option, freelance undertaking or extension of your fashion design studies. It will give you an understanding of the job of a fashion stylist and provide helpful tips and guidelines for finding and producing styling work.
We will explore the various areas that styling is used in in the fashion industry and associated industries such as photography and the film industry. If you want a stronger foundation for becoming a stylist in South Africa; inspiring, interactive projects that take you out into the public to explore and develop your eye as a designer then this is the course for you. We will build your portfolio consisting of lookbook shoots, street reports and trend reports.F
- Lesson One: Fashion foundation. Introduction to styling theory. Fashion awareness. A brief history of fashion. Design theory. Group discussion on major designers and aesthetics.
- Lesson Two: Stylists essentials. Roles and responsibilities of a stylist. Preparation and sourcing for a brief. Visit Wardrobe and meet stylist.
- Lesson Three: Personal styling. Importance of developing personal style. Working theory, colour and silhouettes. Consulting your customer. Consulting and styling exercises.
- Lesson Four: Trend reports and mood boards. Introduction to trends and trend reports. Street style and trend report.
- Lesson Five: Stills/flat lay shoot. Create, style and shoot.
- Lesson Six: Commercial styling. Avenues of commercial styling. Industry insights. Work on editorial concept. Create a visual merchandising mannequin display.
- Lesson Seven: Finalising the brief and work on portfolio and hand in.
- Lesson Eight: Editorial shoot.
ADOBE DIGITAL FASHION DESIGN
The Adobe for Fashion Design course is broken into 6 four-hour lessons. These lessons will take place every Saturday from 9 am-1 pm for the duration of the course and be held on campus at the Design Academy of Fashion. You will receive engaging tasks and assignments.
- Lesson One: Introduction/gain familiarity with the Photoshop interface and work area/gain familiarity with basic tools and start generating basic shapes. Importing images/adjusting images and image layout.
- Lesson Two: Creating a mood board with the desired theme. Creating a collage with the desired theme using all methods learnt over the first 4 lessons.
- Lesson Three: Finalising your mood board and layout.
- Lesson Four: Introduction/gain familiarity with Illustrator interface and work area/gain familiarity with basic tools and start generating basic shapes using the pen tool. Outline of basic fashion figure template.
- Lesson Five: Filling basic fashion figure template with colour and texture. Bringing your fashion figure to life with shadows/burn and dodge tool.
- Lesson Six: Final touches and finishes of your fashion drawing for industry-standard submissions.
YOUR COURSE CONVENERS
As a freelance fashion stylist Tamryn has gained invaluable experience working alongside some of the best local and international creative teams. Her experience spans advertising, editorial, e-commerce, music videos and personal styling as well as design and manufacturing.
With an appreciation for simplicity and harmony she approaches her craft with meticulous attention to detail.
FASHION STYLING COURSE OUTCOMES
At the end of this course you will receive a certificate of completion and be able to :
- Understand the principles of styling and the many different aspects.
- Be able to interpret a customer’s personal style and assist them to update their look.
- Write a creative brief for a shoot and then style and manage the shoot.
- Create a portfolio of flat lay, editorial and personal work.
- Understand the fundamentals of the design applications, Adobe Illustrator & Adobe Photoshop.
- Digital visual moodboards that communicates your inspired vision.
- Bring your fashion figures to life using creativity and technical know-how of design applications.
- Manipulate, blend and add textures to your designs for a professional look.
FASHION STYLING: A basic digital camera or cellphone that takes pictures, a blank notebook or moleskin to develop a fashion journal, access to the internet and resource materials such as fashion magazines and basic writing equipment.
Adobe Digital Fashion Design – Notebook, Pen and 4Gig Flash drive.
DOWNLOAD YOUR APPLICATION FORM:
OR SIGN UP ONLINE: