learn to sew your own garment
Pattern Making & Garment Construction
introduction into drafting patterns and sewing a shirt and trousers.
WHEN SELECTING TWO COURSES
The Design Academy of Fashion’s short course calendar is designed to enhance learning by offering consecutive courses that build on knowledge.
Learn more and save more.
Choose your Course Option
R500 Registration Fee is necessary to book your spot. Spaces are Limited.
9am - 1pm
Level One & Two
9am - 1pm
2023 COURSE DATES
STARTS: 21 JANUARY 2023
BREAK: 18 FEBRUARY 2023
ENDS: 18 MARCH 2023
STARTS: 25 MARCH 2023
BREAK: 8 APRIL 2023
ENDS: 22 APRIL 2023
STARTS: 6 MAY 2023
BREAK: 3 JUNE 2023
ENDS: 3 JULY 2023
STARTS: 8 JULY 2023
BREAK: 22 JULY 2023
ENDS: 5 AUGUST 2023
STARTS: 9 AUGUST 2023
BREAK: 16 SEPTEMBER 2023
ENDS: 14 OCTOBER 2023
STARTS: 21 OCTOBER 2023
BREAK: 4 NOVEMBER 2023
ENDS: 18 NOVEMBER 2023
The Patternmaking & Garment Construction course is broken up into 8 four-hour lessons. These lessons will take place every Saturday from 9am-1pm for the duration of the course and be held on campus at Design Academy of Fashion. We will start with patternmaking introduction and principles and then move onto the garment construction side. You will receive engaging tasks and assignments.
You will be provided with course notes, resources, and lectures as well as practical on hand assistance from our facilitator. There will also be a whatsapp group and contact details for extra assistance to any questions during the week.
- Lesson One: Introduction to pattern making tools and how to measure a customer and basic draughting techniques.
- Lesson Two: Construct overgarment pattern and discuss details and how to write down construction details.
- Lesson Three: Introduction to pockets, pleats and dart manipulation. Construction of shirt block.
- Lesson Four: Construct pants pattern with elasticated waistband.
- Lesson Five: Garment construction. Introduction to sewing machines and sewing. Laying, cutting and sewing sleeves.
- Lesson Six: Sewing darts, seams, pleats and pockets.
- Lesson Seven: Cutting, sewing shirt and fitting shirt, begin cutting pants.
- Lesson Eight: Sewing up and fitting pants final garment.
The Patternmaking & Garment Construction course is broken up into 4 four-hour lessons. These lessons will take place every Saturday from 9am-1pm for the duration of the course and be held on campus at the Design Academy of Fashion. It is imperative that you have either completed the Pattern Making & Garment Construction level 1 short course or have previous experience with pattern making and garment construction and sewing for this course.
You will be provided with course notes, resources, and Lecture’s as well as practical on hand assistance from our facilitator. There will also be a whatsapp group and contact details for extra assistance to any questions during the week.
- Lesson One: THE JEANS PATTERN-In this lesson, students will be provided with the basic jeans pattern and will be requested to design their own jeans and alter the pattern accordingly.
- Lesson Two: Checking off homework and giving feedback on the pattern adaptation. THE CORSET PATTERN PREP. Discuss the new pattern in relation to the design and mock-up.
- Lesson Three: Fabric cutting. Feedback on the pattern adaptation. Students will lay out all their patterns on the table (JEANS PTRN & CORSET PTRN) for final check before cutting out on fabric. Sew Jeans
- Lesson Four: Prep and sew corset= Finalise and complete all garments.
YOUR COURSE CONVENER
Shaun Smith has been teaching and inspiring our patternmaking and garment construction short course students for the past three years and is currently studying towards his Masters Degree in Fashion. He has mastered the art of Pattern Making and is currently exploring the practical testing of unconventional pattern making. “Each garment we create possesses a certain energy, which allows the wearer to be transcended into a desired feeling”
At the end of this course you will receive a certificate of completion and be able to :
- Understand the principles of design, pattern making and garment construction.
- Understand complex garment construction and be able to use presses, fusing and how to handle different fabrics and prep them before sewing.
- Be able to draught and sew up a fly zip and pockets on a pair of denim pants.
- Basic corsetry that is needed for bridal and formal dresses.
Required stationery and supplies to complete the course:
Pencil, Sharpener, Black marker / fine liner, Paper Scissors, Pritt, Eraser, L Square, Meter ruler, French curves, tracing wheel, Cotton thread, Fabric scissors, Pins, Tape Measure, Fabric marker/ tailor’s chalk. A selection of fabric and trim (to be decided upon choice of design)
Domestic sewing machine & Domestic Overlocker (optional)
DOWNLOAD YOUR APPLICATION FORM:
OR SIGN UP ONLINE: